Monday, February 28, 2011

The Prisoner Of The Lord

Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. Ephesians 4:1 (NLT)






A little bird I am


Shut from the fields of air;


And in my cage I sit and sing


To Him who placed me there;


Well pleased a prisoner to be,


Because, my God, it pleaseth Thee.









Nought have I else to do;



I sing the whole day long;



And He whom most I love to please



Doth listen to my song;



He caught and bound my wandering wing,



But still He bends to hear me sing.









Thou hast an ear to hear;



A heart to love and bless;



And though my notes were e'er so rude,



Thou would'st not hear the less;



Because Thou knowest, as they fall,



That love, sweet love, inspires them all.









My cage confines me round,



Abroad I cannot fly;



But though my wing is closely bound,



My heart's at liberty.



My prison walls cannot control



The flight, the freedom of the soul.









Oh, it is good to soar,



These bolts and bars above,



To Him whose purpose I adore,



Whose providence I love;



And in Thy mighty will to find



The joy, the freedom of the mind.






~MADAME DE LA MOTHE GUYON
[A Threefold Cord - pg 63]






No comments: