Saturday, January 23, 2010

Flies? Not A Problem

I do not remember as a child finding many flies in our home.

My parents had built their home about a year after they were married. Being a new home, there didn't seem to be a problem with those pesky houseflies gathering in the windows and congregating on the sills. Even to this day, over four decades later, the windows still seem to be free of the tiny flying creatures.

Jon and I built our own home almost two decades ago, a couple of years after we were married, yet we seem to have always had a problem with houseflies. I am wondering if the difference is that our home has vinyl-siding and my parents' home is brick. I was told by someone years ago that flies LOVE to get in behind vinyl-siding. (If they like vinyl-siding, then why are they hanging out in my windows?)

The sound of their buzzing can drive me crazy, but it's more the dirt they leave behind on the windows that sets me around the bend. And then after they've buzzed around for a time, realizing they can't get through the glass, they just lay down and die, or some of them even seem to just get stuck and die right there, hanging on the glass!

And THEN what do we do? Suck them up with the vacuum, or take the little broom to them and dispose of them in the garbage.

Well, I was reading an email that was sent to me (Thanks, Uncle Kenny) about what you could do if you were bored......... And if you're bored in a house that has houseflies havin' a little insect-party-hoe-down in your windows, then THIS is just the blog post you need to read.

Simply follow these simple directions:

1. Kill a few flies.
2. Put them in the sun to dry for one hour.
3. Once they are dry, pick a pencil and paper... Let your imagination flow.
Here are a few examples...






























-

Good way to keep the kids entertained and get your windows bug-free at the same time!
Yah.... I know......... I'm warped.
Note - Just to clarify, I did NOT do these pictures; they're from an email I received. I WISH I had this kind of imagination!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That was just the laugh I needed! Very creative! I love it!!!