Sunday, April 5, 2009

Brenda & Glenda


I am a VERY fortunate woman. I have THEEEEEE best cousins in the world. I love them all, on BOTH sides of my family, my Mom's side AND my Dad's side. Some are waaay older more mature in age, and so I don't know them quite as personally as those who are more my "young" age. Some live quite a distance away, and I never get to see them (even when they travel down here to camp! Sorry, Tolkamps! Smarten up, Michelle!)

But I do treasure the times that we DO get together. There's ALWAYS lots of laughter and reminiscing of "the good ol' days". I treasure my family. I'm sad that some of my aunts and uncles have passed on. I'm sad that now all of my grandparents have passed on. If we only knew how short the time was, would we not have taken the time and had just a few more conversations with those loved ones....

Along with conversation, photos are another way that take us back to those special times. The photo below is of two special ladies, my cousins, Brenda and Glenda.

(l-r Brenda & Glenda)

No, they're not sisters, they are cousins. Brenda, who lives in the Waterdown area (near Hamilton), is the oldest child of my late Aunt Phyllis, my Mom's oldest sister. Glenda, who lives in the Hanover area (near Walkerton), is the oldest child of my Aunt Leona, my Mom's next older sister.

Glenda sent me this photo yesterday, but she didn't include any details......(what's up with THAT, Cuz?) I'm posting it anyways, and I'll have her give me some details for you other relatives that are curious, and then I'll post an update.

I so badly would love to turn back the clock and be there in this photo; HOWEVER, "I" was not even AROUND in 1964..... Yes, I'm a Centennial Project! 1967! These two girls are WAAAAY older than me :O) I mean, more mature.

I've got a great picture of Glenda's brother, Dean, and me when we were little tykes on a tricycle. Fast forward about 18 years and we got another photo of Dean and me on a tricycle. That'll make a good blog post. Gonna have to go to Mom's and dig out the ol' photo albums and find that picture to scan.

I LOVE the old photos. I have some really old pictures of ancestors on the Fraser side that I should take the time to go through and make a family tree. I know there are photos from back in the late 1800's.

I SO appreciate my family. I am the most fortunate girl! God has blessed me with great relatives..... I really wouldn't exchange any of them..... well, maybe Dean. JUST KIDDING, CUZ! You're one of the last that I'd exchange!!!!! I mean, really... WHO would drive the tricycle if I got rid of you???

So, to any of my family reading this, I LOVE YOU. ALL OF YOU.... Fraser's, Steenburgh's, Tolkamp's, Head's... Please know that!!! We may be spread out all over parts of Ontario, but I treasure you here in my heart.

"Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile, when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family." Mother Teresa of Calcutta

No comments: