Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blake's Health Update 2010/06/22

Oh I am in such major trouble with some of you folks for not updating Blake's progress for two days!!!

Honestly, I just do NOT know where the time goes in here.

Firstly, let me begin by saying HAPPY SUMMER. Isn't today the official first day of Summer? Wait, it's after midnight now, so it's really Tuesday! So, Monday was the first official day of Summer, right? (I always hate to say goodbye to the Spring).

I haven't even got a clue what the weather is like outside. It is warm? cool? muggy? I asked a member of the cleaning staff what the weather was like, and she replied, "I don't know, I've been in here all day!" I said, "Oh, well what was the weather like on the weekend?" She said, "I don't know, I had to work the weekend as well!" hahaha. Sooooo, I'm just praying that the weather is beautiful when we finally get outta here.

And on THAT note, I will tell you that we don't know what day we're headed home, but with all hope, Blake will get his medicine Tuesday.

His temperature has managed to stay down and the bowel movements are less frequent, which is a good thing.

[Oh dear! I just heard a patient screaming from her room........ looks like it's gonna be a long night for someone!]

Anyways, Doctor Fowler and Doctor Weymouth (sp?) along with medical student John came in to see Blake on Monday with Dr. Paterson. The plan still remains that Blake should be receiving his dose of Remicade sometime Tuesday. I'm almost nervous about it now. I haven't been nervous at all through this whole process, but now I'm anxious to see if it's gonna work. I pray that it does! Blake so badly wants to feel good again.

We had a very nice visit Monday evening with a nurse named Romney. She came in to talk to Blake OFF DUTY!!!! How sweet is THAT??? When Nurse Don was on duty the other day, he mentioned that there was a nurse on the floor who also has suffered with Crohn's and that she has been in remission for many years. We were excited to talk with her, as she told Nurse Don that she'd pop in, but she must have got busy and didn't get in to see us. Then she called on the phone Monday and said she'd be in that night!

We spent a lot of time talking with her, and she is a sweetheart. Brent will be happy to know she's a Newfie! :o) We talked about everything from soup to nuts (literally... haha) and she told us her own experience with the dreaded bowel disease. Her story and experience is a bit different than Blake's, yet there are many similarities as well; but every piece of advice you can get from others is beneficial.

And it's always a blessing to make a new friend. This woman is like me, in that she can cry at the drop of a hat! If Romney and I had a girlfriend tea time, I think we'd definitely have a box of Kleenex at the table beside our tea and cookies (but they would be homemade cookies, Romney. Not made by me, of course, 'cause I don't do baked goods; but I'd find some homemade ones SOMEWHERE that would be edible... and not processed! haha).

We were talking about a good support system in family and friends, and Blake started talking about his bud, Billy, and how Billy has stood behind Blake so much. Poor Romney started collecting tears and we didn't even have a Kleenex in the room! She had to use the sleeve of her isolation gown!

We are so fortunate to have such caring people around us. There'd be no point in counting them all up, because I'd for sure lose count. We are definitely blessed.

Romney, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to see us. You could have been home entertaining your out-of-town England guests, or spending time with your children & hubby, or getting some well-deserved (and likely 'well-needed') sleep..... but you took the time to come back to your place of employment.... to an "infected" room, of all places!...... and spend some time with a boy and his mom that you don't even know. You were a blessing to us, and we appreciate your kindness. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Folks, I will tell you right now, the world needs more Romney's. Go be a Romney! Lend an ear. Offer some advice. Cry on your hospital isolation gown, if need be! [snicker]. Just go out and care for someone.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40 (NIV)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...awesome post Michelle.... if only there were more Romney's around, imagine what this world could be..... just think what you would have missed if God didn't allow Blake to go to hospital again..... God's timing is always perfect somehow..... and I'm sure that you and Blake both are touching lives during your stay there..... will keep praying for Blake and your whole family..... love you all, God bless, later, lynda

Anonymous said...

aaw Michelle you made me cry again... <3 So glad to hear Blake got his dose and that you were so blessed by the presence of your "angel" Romney. You are right more of us need to be like that and learn to put others first...what a blessing for all. Give Blake our love and hopefully we'll be giving him that and hugs in person soon! Keep that chin up girl, your doing great. AND TEA TIME AS SOON AS THIS HAS ALL SETTLED DOWN! I miss you <3