Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blake's Health Update 2010/06/24



I cannot believe that I just typed 'June 24th' in the title.

REALLY????

JUNE 24th??????

June has flown right by.


Well, just as I started to type this post, Blake decided to throw up. Not sure what's up with that.

He had a headache last night before bed, yet had a restful night. I can't remember if he said that Nurse Janice brought him some Tylenol for his headache through the night or not. When I, myself, woke up with a headache this morning, I thought maybe we were just dealing with some barometric pressure issues. (This affects me every year in drastic weather changes, continuing through the summer months.)

Then at breakfast he was really sleepy. When he finally sat up, ready to greet the day, he didn't have much of an appetite and only ate half of a small muffin. I couldn't encourage him to tackle a bowl of cereal. About an hour or so passed, and then he hollered for a bucket and threw up.

Nurse Amy gave him some Stemetil, which helps with upset stomach, and he's been resting soundly.

I know from past experience if my headaches get bad enough, or are borderline migraine, it can upset my stomach. I like it that there was a good progression yesterday in a positive direction with Blake's health, because of the Remicade from Tuesday. I don't like this little red flag, but I'm not pushing a panic button. We're here in hospital in good hands, and we'll just stay put until we're sure he'll be OK. They're certainly not pushing us out the door, thankfully.

He just woke up a few minutes ago and said he keeps dreaming. That's normal with morphine. But then he was laying here awake and was "dreaming", he said. When I asked him to describe his "dreams" to me, he couldn't. He said it just feels "confusing" and he feels anxious. I think it's just the morphine affecting him, but will check with Nurse Amy when she comes in the room again.

I remember my dreams when on Demerol.... I remember 'zippers' and 'distorted faces'. It felt extremely weird.
The thing is.... Blake is on less morphine now than when he came in! Maybe it's just working it's way out of his system. Now he wants a sleeping pill to sleep so he doesn't "dream" while awake! I'm sure the nurse will know what we should do. In the meantime, he's devouring a tuna sandwich. For weeks we can barely get him to move, and now we can't keep him from climbing the walls! haha. I'm sure this is all expected and he'll be fine shortly.


So, folks, I don't know what your weather has been like, but here in Kingston today it can't make up it's mind. It was dark when we awoke. Then the sun came out. Then it downpoured. Now it has let up again. Looks like a lot of rain forecasted, though, for the coming week.

Ontario & Quebec had quite the variety of flavours in different weather conditions yesterday. Midland, Ontario experienced the wrath of a tornado with homes and trailer parks appearing like they were run through a wood chipper! Quebec was shook up with a 5.0 Richter-Scale-reading earthquake, which affected most of Southern Ontario and parts of the U.S. with tremors. Bowman, Quebec had a bridge collapse. I've not heard of any serious injuries, thank the Lord.

There were Warnings and Alerts issued for many parts of Southern Ontario last night on The Weather Network, which included tornado watches, hail, strong winds, heavy rainfall..... however, I understand that it wasn't too bad of a night. (We can't hear or see much from this hospital room, as we're surrounded by other buildings. I can only see a portion of the sky.)

I'm glad my kids weren't home alone. Jake was at his employer's house and Jared was staying with my sister, Wannett. Jon will be home tonight, though, to keep an eye on things.

Well, Mr. Sun has decided to come out, and the bit of sky that I can see looks absolutely clear. For the time being, the rains take a break.




I, unfortunately, have been taking a break on being in The Word, and somebody needs to kick my butt for that. I've had plenty of time to spend with the Lord while here with Blake at KGH, but just haven't been focussed enough, or disciplined enough, to make it a priority. I follow a couple of blogs that have provided nourishment, but I feel like I haven't had a "good meal".... if that makes any sense to you.

Even the devotionals that I receive by email are inaccessible to me right now, as my gmail doesn't work properly on Blake's computer.

But I know that God is lifting us up in this trial and is carrying us through. How do people that don't know the Lord ever make it through their trials? I simply don't know. I am thankful for His hand upon my life.... and Blake's life..... and my family's lives.

Who am I to receive such blessings!

And, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 28:20b KJV

ps - I will let you know later if Blake's condition gets any worse; but I'm convinced it's just the morphine playing some mind games.

No comments: